September 2, 2021
We were notified of a positive test of COVID-19 within the Monument Elementary School learning community. After consulting with the Vermont Department of Health, all close contacts were determined and notified. The school building will remain open for in-person learning. Those affected have been contacted.
Reminder: if your student is ill or if you are awaiting a COVID-19 test, please keep your child home and contact your school nurse.
As a reminder, the most important things you can do to stop the spread of COVID-19:
- Make sure your child is wearing a mask.
- Make sure your child is washing their hands.
- Keep your child home if they are exhibiting any symptoms common with COVID-19
- Call your primary care provider if you or your child has symptoms of COVID-19.
What is COVID-19?
A new coronavirus causes COVID-19, which is an illness that was discovered in 2019. Coronaviruses are a type of virus that are named for the crown-like spikes on their surface. There are many kinds of coronaviruses including some that cause respiratory illnesses, like the common cold. The specific symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
How does COVID-19 spread?
COVID-19 spreads mainly from having close contact with someone who has a COVID-19 infection. The virus is thought to spread by droplets from person to person when they speak, cough, or sneeze. Droplets travel less than 6 feet. When droplets from another person get in your mouth or nose you can inhale into your lungs. This virus can be spread by people without symptoms.
How can parents and guardians help prevent COVID-19 from spreading?
- If your child is sick, keep them home.
- Make sure members of your household wash their hands often using soap and water for 20 seconds.
- Make sure every member of your household covers their coughs and sneezes with a tissue or their elbow, and then washes their hands afterwards.
- Wear a mask in public when you cannot stay 6 feet apart from other people.
We are working with the Health Department to keep our community safe.
- We continue to follow the Health Department’s guidance for Childcare and Summer Programs.
- We cleaned and disinfected the [facility/school name] per the Health Department guidance.
- Employees and sick children will not return to work until they are healthy.
Thank you for understanding that, due to medical privacy laws, we are not able to release the names of the individual with COVID-19. We will continue to communicate changes and updates with you. With your participation, we believe we can create a safe and fun experience for your children.
Stay safe and healthy,